Welcome to the City of Velva! Our city is defined less by boundaries on a map than by the sense of shared values our residents hold dear. We take pride in maintaining a wholesome lifestyle, rich in farming, ranching, and family history. With this deep commitment to the preservation of our environment, our North Dakota heritage, and a progressive approach to local business we invite you to take a look at what we have to offer. Our population of 1100 people thrive in this lush valley located along the Mouse River. Highlights of our bustling town include:
- Home of the Velva Aggies! Our school, with a student body of 480, offers K-12th grade, along with numerous educational, extracurricular, and sports related entities.
- BLS ambulance service and a fire department, serving both townspeople and rural areas.
- Three churches of Lutheran, Methodist, and Catholic denomination. Each has Sunday school and confirmation opportunities.
- A 50 bed nursing home and a 16 unit assisted living wing.
- Small businesses including a well diverisfied grocery store; drug store and pharmacy; and a C-store with off-sale liquor.
- An active senior citizen center.
- A Public Libary.
- Saddle Club and rodeo grounds.
- Three dining establishments.
- Clinic, chiroparactic, and dental offices.
- A community owned bank, and credit union.
- A full gas station with mechanic shop.
- Swimming pool and miniature golf located in a richly shaded park with playground and picnic shelters.
- Three campground parks with full hook-up capabilities.
- A twelve unit motel.
- Nine hole golf couse including rental carts and cart barns for longterm storage. Mens, ladies, and couples night throughout the summer.
- Velva City Development (VCDC), an active association of commerce (VAC), and Commnunity Improvement Group.
- Member of ND Main Street Intiative.
- Home of the nationally known "Dots Pretzels."
A brief listing of what we want visitors and prospective residents to know about our thriving city of Velva. It truly is a Star City!