- City Hall
- City Ordinances
- Financial Reports & Budgets
- Employment Opportunities
- Meeting Agendas & Minutes
- Open Records
- In Velva
- Contact Us
City 2020 Election Information
Municipal City Elections & Special Elections
Municipal City elections are held the second Tuesday in June of even-numbered years. Special elections are held as the City Commission calls for and approves them.
Any person who is a qualified elector and a resident of the City of Velva is qualified to be a member of the Board of City Commissioners and Board of Park Commissioners. Candidates are required to file a Petition/Certificate of Nomination (SFN 02704) with at least 25 signatures, and a Statement of Interests (SFN 10172). Forms are available on the ND Secretary of State’s website, or by contacting the City Auditor's Office at 701-338-2660.
To get on the ballot, candidates must collect 25 signatures from Velva residents. Election administrators suggest collecting up to 30 signatures and turning in petitions at least one day before the deadline (some signatures may be eliminated if not from valid city residents). Post office boxes are not considered a valid address. Only complete addresses are accepted.
- A complete filing must include:
- Petition/Certification of Nomination
- A Statement of Interests
- Filing Date is April 6, 2020 at 4PM in the City Auditor's Office at City Hall: 101 1st Street West; Velva, ND.
- There are two City Commission positions up for election and two Park Board positions up for election on June 9, 2020.